Jul 13, 2014

Classic Pesto - 4 ingredients!



Basil, basil everywhere!
It's one of my very favorite herbs in the garden! It grows so quickly, you can easily start a second crop just six weeks after planting the first!



Classic Pesto

2 cups fresh basil, lightly packed
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 5 oz.)
½ to cup olive oil
1 to 2 cloves garlic (optional)

Whirl basil, Parmesan, ½ cup of the oil and, if using, garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth; add more oil, if needed.
Pesto can be used immediately, frozen or refrigerated with *special care.

*recipe may be refrigerated for an extended period of time, IF a thin layer of olive oil is covering the top!  

Each time I use a little, I pour another thin layer of oil on top before returning it to the frig! 


Pesto can be used in a variety of ways; as a sauce, spread, dip, even a marinade. Add a bit to your morning eggs or lunchtime soups to kick up the favor! 
But be cautious, a little goes a long way!
Enjoy!






How do you use your pesto?

check out my Easy Basil Butter here.


Follow on Bloglovin
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin'

scroll down to see where I'll be sharing today's post.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE pesto!!! Especially in my pasta!!! TFS!
    Have a wonderful day my friend,
    Migdalia
    *Crafting With Creative M*


    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! I appreciate your kind words!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to freeze my extra pesto . . . makes for a nice treat in the middle of winter

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I enjoy hearing from you!
Blessings, Maria