Sep 25, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Homeschooler - Guest Post

One of the things I like best about blogging is meeting new friends! So today, I would like you to meet Laura Lane, a fellow blogger & homeschooler. Her blog is filled with frugal ideas, great tips and fun adventures. 

I've asked her to introduce herself and tell us what a 'homeschooling day' looks like in her home!




Hello!  We're the Lane Family.  I'm Laura Lane.   My husband, Lowell, works at a church.  My eldest, Matthew, graduated in 2009.  He attended high school after being homeschooled for 10 years.  I currently homeschool Emily, 16, Michael, 14, and Amy, 12. 

We're rather relaxed, eclectic homeschoolers.  I didn't really plan it that way, but life happens when you have a husband who is in ministry.  There's a bit of drop everything and go when he calls to our life.  Two years ago, our area was devastated by what the world knows as the Joplin, Missouri tornado.  We live about ten miles from Joplin.  A couple of days after the tornado, my husband walked in and asked Pastor Dan what he could do to help.  He walked out with a job as the coordinator and community liaison and a plan to house volunteers in the vacant house next door (about 400 over the summer by his estimates).   Though we no longer have volunteers staying with us, the kids and I have been on call to volunteer for the last two years. ~smile~  Things have finally settled down giving us the chance to settle down into a new autumn school routine. 

This is what our school days will look like this autumn, if all goes according to plan. ~smile~


When:
We try to get most of our work done in the morning.  The first child out of bed gets the first chance to do math.  All of the children use Teaching Textbooks, a computer based math program.  There's a bit of competition between my two youngest children to see who's first. ~smile~  We eat breakfast and two children do dishes while the third goes on to start Bible.  The others start Bible when they're done.  Math is done as the computer comes available.  We will work all morning, then hopefully, be able to do some more creative activities in the afternoon.  Of course, if the lessons aren't finished, they'll have to be finished.

Where:  We homeschool all over the house.  I want my children to be lifelong learners.  I think that allowing them a little flexibility in where they do their lessons makes them less resistant to learning.  I also catch them doing what I jokingly call "unauthorized learning" once in awhile.  You know, reading a book or studying even if it wasn't assigned.  I make a big deal out of it in jest. ~smile~

How:  Much of our learning is reading based.   We read a lot of whole books.  I was attracted to Charlotte Mason's teachings but never followed her 100%.  We have used a combination of textbooks, workbooks, computer programs, videos and hands-on lessons over the years. We're still reading a lot for Science, but my older children will start Biology this year.  History and Latin are video based.  Michael and Emily will do history together.  All of the children learn Latin together.  Spelling, grammar and writing are usually a bit more mom intensive. ~smile~ 


Why:  To put it simply, God told us to.  I explain it all in detail in this post:  Why We Homeschool.

Helpful hints:
  • Pray!  God cares deeply for you and for your children.  He will guide you.
  • Read read read to your children from birth.  Keep reading even after they learn to read.
  • As soon as they can read, require them to sit and read/look at books for thirty minutes a day.  Perhaps after lunch.
  • When they graduate to chapter books, increase their silent reading time to an hour a day.  My children have become excellent readers as a result. 
  • Don't give up!  Your family is unique.  Your homeschool will be unique.  Don't try to do it just like someone else.  Pick and choose ideas and find what works for your family.

What I really want you to know:  You will not be perfect in your child training, your homeschooling, or your homemaking.  It's okay.  Pray, research the best methods for you, and be flexible in your implementation.  Teaching your child to love the Lord our God with all their hearts, minds, souls, and strength is ultimately the goal.  God wants that, too.  He'll help you.

Be blessed!
Laura




Laura Lane is mom to four children, ages 14-22.  She's homeschooled since 1996, is married to her high school sweetheart, and is debt-free.  She writes about homemaking, saving money through thrifty living, homeschooling, books, her family life, and her love of God and her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Find her at Harvest Lane Cottage.

visit Laura @ Harvest Lane Cottage


Thank you so much Laura for sharing your precious time with us today!





7 comments:

  1. Lovely post and a lovely story! TFS, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura! It's so nice meeting you! I am also a homeschooling mother living in Missouri! Thank you so much for your amazing encouragement! I can't wait to visit your blog!
    Be Blessed
    Jackie
    SchoolinandScrappin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Maria, for featuring my guest post today. I'm a bit late tonight, but I put up a post directing my readers to your blog and this post. Have a terrific week!
    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very encouraging and full of wisdom! Thank you Laura! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy getting a peek into others' homeschooling days. Thank you.
    It sounds like our styles are very similar, and I'm in Missouri too! The lessons your children have learned while serving others because of the tornado disaster are worth much more than anything they could have read in a text book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Laura - Love the information! It's made me feel much better about how we've homeschooled over the years - we've never really followed "this method" or "that method".

    @Maria - thank you for having Laura guest post on your blog! I'm a new follower on BlogLovin'. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind comments!
    Blessings to you all!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I enjoy hearing from you!
Blessings, Maria